Greetings from Lima,
A few weeks ago our lives took an unexpected turn. After having stomach pains for several weeks, Kathy was hospitalized. A week in one hospital left us considering the possibilities of parasites, typhoid, appendicitis and diverticulosis. Finally, a colonoscopy showed two tumors. Immediately she was sent to a better hospital where one of the top surgeons in Peru did emergency surgery. After waiting nine days we received the results and she does have colon cancer. She needs to recover from this surgery before we can move on to treatment for the cancer. We are hopeful that the surgery removed most if not all of the cancer.
We are thankful for the prayers of so many people. We have felt the peace of God during this time in a great way. We are thankful for our doctor friend who put us in contact with this surgeon on such short notice. We are thankful that our daughter Janise, who just graduated from college, was able to be with us for two weeks during this time. We are thankful that last year we moved into a house that is right across the street from Kathy ’s parents. This has been a big help for Raeya and Risha when I have been in the hospital with Kathy. We are thankful for so many people who have provided meals for the family during this time.
We do have several prayer requests:
- Pray for wisdom concerning the treatment for the cancer.
- Pray for wisdom concerning Raeya and Risha’s college plans and provision.
- Pray for a vehicle as ours completely died the day after the surgery.
- Pray for our future plans. We had planned on taking a yearlong furlough starting in August to visit supporting churches and raise more support. This plan is obviously put on hold for now. Our insurance coverage is better here in Peru and we can see moving in the midst of treatment.
- Pray for our daughter Krista who will be coming down to spend the rest of her summer break to help us during this time. Please pray that God will provide for the college expenses that she would normally cover working in the summer.
- Pray for Janise as she will be on a missions trip to India for two months.
Thank you so much for your prayers,
Serving Christ in Lima,
Rick and Kathy Anderson